Ongoing Weight Loss Program
While the ideal weight loss program does involve one-on-one meetings, that is no longer possible. I have opted to provide ongoing telehealth weight loss care to clients who have already begun a weight loss program. If somehow you have reached this page and are not already in a program, then please unsubscribe from the email you received from this group or email me to have you unsubscribed.
Note: this program is only available to clients who have started a weight loss program with Dr Edman in Mill Valley or have started in Santa Barbara, but have had to move away.
The structure of the program is as follows:
- Every month around the first, you will receive an automated email from me.
- In the email, you will be asked to provide information on your progress, any concerns that you might have, and whether or not you would like to have a phone consult for that month.
- If we both deem it appropriate to continue therapy, I will mail you a paper script for your medication.* This you can take any pharmacy and have filled. There will be no refills over the phone.
- While you can request a phone consult any month, you will be required to have a phone consult the first month and then every three months (see "Pricing" section below).
- You can opt out at anytime.
*I am currently negotiating with a pharmacy to provide medications mailed directly to you. I will let you know if this works out.
In order for this to work, you must take on more responsibility for your own weight loss. Here is what is expected of you:
- Regular weigh ins. While you all know that I prefer daily weigh ins, weekly is okay. The monthly form will contain four boxes for you to document your weekly progress.
- Fill out the form in a timely fashion. I will not send you a prescription until I have received the form, agreed to your ongoing treatment, and received the monthly payment.
- You will bear the cost of the medication.
- Take your medication. One of the most common causes of "stalled" weight loss is not taking medication. If you have trouble remembering, then set a reminder on your phone.
Since I am no longer providing you directly with medication and we won't necessarily be having phone consults every month, you will have to pay for your own medication. Different pharmacies charge wildly different prices. For phentermine, Costco is often the least expensive ($21 a month). Topiramate is also quite inexpensive at Costco at about $7 a month. As insurance companies will not pay for weight loss, you will have to pay cash. I will not fill out any prior authorizations for weight loss medications.
The pricing for my services will be as follows:
- Phentermine only, no telephone consult - $75
- Phentermine only, with a 15 minute telephone consult - $120
- Phentermine only, with a 30 minute telephone consult - $150
- Phentermine plus topirimate, no telephone consult - $95
- Phentermine plus topirimate, with a 15 minute telephone consult - $140
- Phentermine plus topirimate, with a 30 minute telephone consult - $170
If you are on some other medication, prices will be similar but determined on an individual basis.
- Phone consults outside of regular monthly program or for other issues: $100 - $300 (15-45 minutes)
- Document preparation fees: $50 for the first page, $25 for each additional page
Important details about the program:
- Participation in the program is at Dr Edman's sole discretion. Both you and he can terminate your program at any time.
- The program covers weight loss only. Other issues (like hormones), will be charged at the phone consult rate.
- You will receive an email invoice for the monthly service. Prescriptions will be mailed only upon receipt of payment.
- You are solely responsible for lost or stolen scripts or medications. Dr Edman MAY send replacement scrips after phone consultation only ($100 charge). No email requests for scrips will be honored.
- From time to time, Dr Edman may make suggestions for additional treatment or changes in therapy. Significant changes will require a phone consult
- You must agree to receiving and sending emails that not secure. More information on this will be on the consent form you will be asked to sign upon joining the program.
- You may receive some "promotional" offers from Dr Edman for products that he believes may help your program. You can opt out of receiving these offers at any time.
- Dr Edman may change the requirements and prices of the program at any time without prior notification (though he will endeavor to make these changes known to you in advance).